Google Analytics

Sunday 20 February 2011

Shilly-shally do it?

So, I am going to start by saying that you know you are procrastinating when the first thing you can think of is to look up the synonyms for procrastination so you can write a blog about the best things to do when you are procrastinating.

My online thesaurus came up with gems including to 'drag one's feet', 'poke' (ah yes, that Facebook classic), 'tarry' and 'temporize' before offering my antonyms including 'accelerate', 'complete', 'do' and the all inspiring word, 'finish'.

Ah, to finish.  That'd be nice.  For those of you who don't know, I decided to improve myself by taking a marketing course to supplement my already extensive knowledge of events.  It's very interesting to finally fully understand why I do what I do on a daily basis and fill in any gaps that had been left between managing national roadshows in my day job and studying Steinbeck, Kerouac and the rest in my student days, but by golly doing homework hasn't gotten any more interesting in the eight years since I last attempted it.  Which made me wonder what it is about procrastination that is so attractive, when really you're just delaying the inevitable (getting the work done) and not actually enjoying yourself as much as you will when you have finished and get to curl up on the sofa with a good DVD and have a snuggle with your beloved.  Because when procrastinating, you must appear to be busy. Hmm.

When I was at school my favourite way of procrastinating was to clean my bedroom.  Because I have a whole house to help keep tidy now, that doesn't offer the same novelty factor.

The dog always needs a cuddle and to be walked.  Except I think it's raining (I haven't opened the curtains in my study room, out of protest and fear it's a beautiful day I am missing).

I could cook lunch.  Except my lovely fiance has already made me a big old bacon roll to start my day off, and I'm not hungry.

Weddings.  I am getting married in just over a year - there are some fun websites with ideas on weddings.  Yes, I have had a look at a few this morning.  Except I don't think even an experienced procrastinator like me can go and make beautiful lace covered vases this afternoon, without completing my homework first.  Which is annoying because I have the perfect vase to start with.  But no lace as yet...

Music.  iTunes offeres a form of distraction that I don't remember from my days of GCSE revision and listening to Jo Whiley on the radio.  Now I can create a really kick ass playlist to study to.  My ears are grateful.

Ah, and the infernal facebook.  I am truly grateful for my age and knowledge that it was just instant messaging and emails that could distract me in my youth because there is no way I would have ever managed to graduate university with the constant distraction of facebook.  Thankfully I am not into gaming and had forgotten, until this moment, that Bejewelled was out there waiting for me...oops. 

Anyway, to finish.  I've sorted out the comments section on this (yes, more procrastinating...check) and would love it if anyone out there fancies sharing their top procrastinating tips.  I have an exam in just over a week so really do need to find new ways to distract myself!!





1 comment:

  1. I love procrastinating - I get to find out all sorts of weird and wonderful facts from random internet searches! My top one at the moment is what I'm calling 'research' to gather inspiration for crafty ideas or future ventures! Here's one for you... you could make me a little baby's fancy dress costume - there are some really funny ones online!!! Or even just plan one as that's all I tend to do!

    Is this the last exam or the first of many!!??

    ReplyDelete